A docking station can be added in FlexWhere by the Admin/Admins in your organization. The docking station is added as a device (desktop) in the device list. Then you can link the docking station to a workstation and possibly create a label for it. As soon as you attach a laptop to a known docking station, the workstation automatically turns red in FlexWhere.
The moment you disconnect the laptop from the docking station, the workstation turns green again because the docking station is now inactive. FlexWhere for Desktop continues to run on the laptop and therefore will ask the user to indicate where they are, since a laptop can move anywhere in the building.
Additional information for ICT professionals:
It is also possible to add a MAC prefix to FlexWhere so that the application always gives priority to the entered MAC prefix instead of, for example, the Windows device name.
Adding this MAC prefix works as follows:
- Log into FlexWhere’s Control Centre;
- Go to the ‘Settings’ menu;
- Go to the tab ‘Organisation’;
- If applicable, select the appropriate organisation;
- Under FlexWhere for Desktop, enable ‘Docking stations MAC prefixes’;
- Enter the prefix of the MAC address of the docking station;
- Add more prefixes of MAC addresses if necessary, separated by only a comma;
- Press “Save” at the top of the screen.
There may be a so-called “MAC passthrough” option turned on in your device’s BIOS/UEFI settings. This ensures that the MAC address of the connected laptop is passed instead of the MAC address of the docking station. To read the MAC address of the docking station, this passthrough must be off .